Education, Non-Profit and Social Services
Are you someone who cares for others, enjoys building people up and helping them achieve their potential? Join the Education, Non-Profit and Social Services Career Community on Handshake to receive relevant industry information, learn about great events, and discover internships and volunteer opportunities to build your resume. And connect with your Career Coach for personalized advice!
Join this Career Community
If you have a Disability and rely on a screen reader or the keyboard for access to your computer you will experience difficulty using the Handshake application. As the University works with Handshake to improve accessibility, please contact email@example.com for assistance in navigating and using this application. A member of our team will respond within 2 business days to assist you.
Personal or general interests that indicate this community might be a good fit:
Personal improvement, desire to help underrepresented populations, showing empathy and support for others, community service, teaching, mentoring, human rights, social advocacy, victim advocacy, working with animals, immigration, recreation and parks, philanthropy
Industries in which
Careers you might consider
Meet Your Career Coach:
Megan joined the Career Success team in November 2021. After graduating from Bowling Green State University with a B.S. in Dietetics in 2018, she completed her M.Ed in College Student Personnel at Ohio University in 2021. She has gained experience working with campus programming, career and leadership development, first-year student programs and classroom instruction. Megan is excited to serve as a resource while providing encouragement and empathy for students as they pursue their career goals.
Jobs and Internships for members of this Career Community
Guides and tip sheets you'll find useful:
Helpful Links for members of this Career Community
Education, Non-Profit and Social Services
- Idealist: Global directory of jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities with non-profit organizations around the world
- Social Service Job Site: Online job board for social work, counseling, psychology, sociology, mental health, case management, employee assistance, volunteer management, substance abuse treatment, domestic violence, community development, youth development, child welfare, developmental disabilities and all other areas of social services.
- Volunteer Match: Explore hundreds of volunteer opportunities in cause areas like health and medicine, education, community building etc. Choose from numerous nonprofit organizations nationwide who are seeking volunteers to create a real impact.
- 2-1-1 Directory (HandsOn Central Ohio): Connecting residents in Franklin county with comprehensive and up-to-date information about social, health and government services.
- How to Become a Social Worker: This comprehensive guide dissects the education and training required for entry into the field, specific certifications needed, the job prospects that lie ahead and social worker salaries across the country.
- HigherEd Jobs: A resource for finding your next job in higher education.
- Education America: Can browse jobs without registering; to apply, you must complete the free registration. Includes teaching and support jobs; the teaching positions require Master’s degrees or other credentials.
- i-to-i TEFL: Access information on TEFL (Teach English as a Foreign Language) courses and jobs.
- TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages): Provides advice from TESOL instructors, job listings, and information on the TESOL certification process.
- Pro Z Translation Workplace: Online listing of translation jobs. Search by language to make it even easier to access the database of opportunities.
- Teachers-Teachers.com: Over 2000 employers and the opportunity to search for your desired teaching position based on location.
- Teach.com: Whether you are a natural teacher seeking the credentials to start your career or an educator trying to make the leap into administration to enact change, Teach.com has resources to guide you to success.
- University HQ: A helpful starting point for learning about careers in psychology and counseling.
Industry Connections for Education, Non-Profit and Social Services
If you're an employer that is interested in recruiting from this population of students at The Ohio State University, we've made it easy for you! Assistant Director of Industry Connections Aaron Klein is your point of contact. Aaron can help you explore our Career Fairs and Expos, our signature programs, and develop a recruiting strategy to hire from the high-caliber and diverse population of students and recent alumni.
Assistant Director of Industry Connections
Aaron joined the Career Success team after working in international education at The Ohio State University and Texas A&M University. His previous experiences include managing international internships and programs, collegiate athletics, residence life, and new student programming. A native of Illinois, Aaron received his B.S. in Recreation, Sport and Tourism and his M.Ed. in Education Policy, Organization and Leadership with a concentration in Higher Education from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is currently pursuing his Doctorate in Higher Education and Student Affairs at Ohio State.
In his role, he develops meaningful relationships with industry in order to enhance career and professional success for students pursuing an arts and sciences education.